Tuesday, January 19, 2010

365 Days of Compassion

I kind of like my routines. Every Saturday and Sunday I get up early and take Rex, the dog also know as my Training Partner, to the Aptos Dog Park. We usually walk a couple of miles, look at the bunny rabbits then head to Starbucks. I then pick up a couple of non-fat hot chocolates, then head home. Once home, Rex and I climb back on the bed, wake Kelly up and read the newspapers, both the San Jose paper and the Santa Cruz paper. Last Sunday was no exception.

I climbed up on the bed, gave Kelly her hot chocolate, and tore into the newspapers. While reading the San Jose paper, I came across a full page advertisement. I usually don't give those kinds of ads a second look, but something about this one caught my eye.

The headline read "365 Days of Compassion - A Challenge." The ad started out talking about what a difficult year 2009 had been. It acknowledged that everyone hopes for a new beginning along with the new year, but recognizes that it doesn't come automatically. It goes on to say that for change to happen, we must all work at it. It then issues the "Challenge."

The "Challenge" is for everyone to do good, to show compassion for others, and to help each other out, everyday, for the next 365 days. It suggests donating some clothes, buying someone a cup of coffee, or even sending money to the Haiti relief effort. The "Challenge" isn't about changing the world overnight. It is about small steps, taken daily, that become part of our life. The "Challenge" is about making compassion a habit and individual responsibility.

This ad was cool for a lot of reasons. I really like the idea of individual responsibility, and I really like the idea of making compassion a habit. The coolest part was the ad wasn't by some religious group, a corporate entity, a political organization, or even a social services provider. The ad was placed by a group called Engine Company One.

I did a little research on this mysterious organization. In the ad, they called themselves "People who believe in attempting the improbable, pursuing the implausible, and maybe someday, with your help, resolving the unsolvable." I looked up Engine Company One and it turns out they are a design group based in an old firehouse in San Francisco. The group asks people to make a pledge to show compassion everyday for the next year, and to share their experiences on Twitter @365compassion. There is no paperwork, no cost, and no formal anything. Just people asking people to try and make the world a better place.

Well the ad kind of got me. I shared it with my wife, and we both agreed that we would join the program. We are trying to make the world a better place, and we would like to ask you to join us in this experiment. Just think what we can accomplish if we all take even small steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers