Monday, February 8, 2010

Punch Therapy


I know it's been awhile since I've updated the blog. I've been busy with the stress of life. I've been stressed with getting my on-line business up and running. I've been stressed with work and all kinds of junk, but I've found a way of working through it. I'm calling my stress reduction method "Punch Therapy."

I've been going to my new MMA gym for a couple of weeks now. It has a great schedule. Monday through Thursday we work on stand-up striking, which includes boxing, Muay-Thai, and Kick-Boxing. On Friday, we work on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I'm learning and increasing my skill set, but the most important thing is the workout. By the end of every workout, I am completely soaked in sweat, and completely exhausted. This is a good thing. Strenuous activities release endorphins in your brain. These endorphins produce a feeling of well being and actually make you in a better mood. They help alleviate stress.

The other day they finally let me do some sparring. I'm not the most technical striker at the gym. I'm not the quickest, or the most talented. What I am is a strong puncher. I'm also the oldest guy. All of the guys at the gym are really nice. They are patient about showing the new guys the way things are done, even if they do all look about 20-25 years old.

I put on my headgear and mouth-guard and get ready for my first round of sparring. Just as we get ready my partner said something smart alecy. I don't know if he said he would go easy on me, or if he asked me to go easy on him. Either way, it rubbed me the wrong way. My partner is really a nice guy, and I know he didn't mean anything by it, but still....

We began by circling. I threw a couple of jabs. My arms are a lot longer and I could tag him easily without him getting close to me. As soon as he realized that, he shot for the take down. I responded by sprawling and I hit him with an uppercut so hard I knocked his headgear off. He got his gear back on and we continued to spar.

The adrenalin was pumping, the endorphins were pumping and I felt good! I would like to say I knocked the guy out, but that was far from the truth. As I get tired, I tend to drop my hands. I got popped a couple of times, but definitely held my own. Not bad for an old guy against a much more experienced young guy.


That night after class, I felt fantastic. I was tired, I was sore, but I was at peace with the world. Everything was good. No stress about anything. That's when I decided that I was going to practice my new form of therapy as much as possible. I think I'm going to keep going to the MMA gym for a long, long time. I can workout, get rid of stress and keep on trying to "Fix Rick."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers