Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year & The "Fight Gone Bad" Workout

Happy New Year! 

I'm sitting here on Sunday, January 2nd, contemplating  about going back to work tomorrow.  You see I've been off work since December 24th with a combination of Holiday and Furlough time.   As I stretch, I notice that the back of my thighs are still a little tight from a workout I did on Tuesday. 

On Tuesday, I went to visit Aaron.  Aaron was my Personal Trainer when I first had weight loss surgery.  He was also one of my Son's best friends, and actually like another one of my kids.  The guys is like a Son to me.  Earlier this year, Aaron and his wife opened up their own gym.  It'sa 4,500 square foot facility called Amity CrossFit and is located up in Palo Alto.

When  I got there I was just in time for their lunchtime class.  Today the workout was going to be the "Fight Gone Bad" workout.  Aaron tells the story about how the CEO of CrossFit was asked by  BJ Penn,  former UFC Lightweight Champion and UFC Welterweight Champion, to create a custom workout that would simulate a 3 round cage  fight.  Upon completion of this workout, the CEO asked  BJ how he felt.  The answer was it felt like " A Fight Gone Bad."

The workout consists of 3, 5 minute rounds.  Each round has 5 workstations.  1 minute rest between rounds.

Here is the workout:

Station 1 - 60 Seconds on the rowing machine
Station 2 - 2 Medicine Balls.  One placed on  the ground.  Start squatting above the ball, holding the other ball.  Stand up and shoot the medicine ball like a basketball against the wall.  Catch the ball.  Squat until you touch the ball on the ground.  Stand up and shoot the other ball.  Repeat for the 60 seconds.
Station 3 - Dead Lift up to an upright row.  With an Olympic bar and weights resting on the ground, do a dead lift.  Once the bar is at your waist, pull it up to your chin, keeping it close to your body.  Put the weight on the ground and repeat for the 60 seconds.
Station 4 - Jump Ups/Step Ups.  Standing in front of a 24" tall box.  Either Step up, one leg at a time then step down, or jump up onto the box and jump down.  Repeat for the full 60 seconds
Station 5 - Military Hybrid.  Using an Olympic bar resting on the ground, pick it up and do a military press.  Once you complete the first one continue cranking them out for the final 60 seconds.  Keep the bar close and use your legs to push the bar overhead.

Believe me, the workout is much harder than  it sounds.

If you are in the Palo Alto area and want a great workout, checkout Amity Crossfit,  Aaron will take good care of you, and be sure and tell him Uncle Rick sent  you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers