Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New Science or Snake Oil?

There was a time if someone told you that they could put an electronic device over your finger and have it tell you the oxygen saturation of your body, nobody would have believed you.  They would ha e called it ridiculous, junk science or even snake oil.  Now whenever I go to the Doctor for just about anything, they take my blood pressure, my pulse, and then they put a device on  my finger to measure my oxygen saturation.  It has become that common  now.

The other day, I  got a call  from the Blood Doc, John Fitgerald (http://www.drjohnfitzgerald.com).  The Blood Doc is a guy I met while attending  a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) training camp at Xtreme Couture. The Blood Doc specializes in analyzing the blood of professional fighters, and other elite athletes.  After analyzing the blood work, he identifies what supplements you should take to be at peak performance.  He also works with Xtreme Couture Athletic Pharmaceuticals (XCAP) in developing the most serious supplements in the world.

When I met John at Fight Camp, I didn't know who he was, or anything about XCAP.  He was at camp to talk to the attendees about how important nutrition is to athletic performance.  He also passed out some samples of an XCAP product called O2 Plus+.

O2 Plus+ is a vegetable based product that is used to increase endurance.  I was impressed with the product, so I talked to John.  I explained that I have had Gastric Bypass Surgery and wanted to make sure that it was safe to use.  He assured me that all the XCAP products, unlike most supplements,  are produced in a licensed  FDA lab, and the products would be safe for to use.  He also was interested in my surgery and offered to review my blood work.

When I got home from camp, I did some research.  I learned that the Blood Doc was pretty famous for his work with many professional fighters.  I decided to take him up on his offer and I sent him my blood work.  He reviewed my blood work and then spent about 90 minutes with me on the phone going over the results and made some recommendations.  My own doctor never spent that much time with me on my blood work, and never explained what the numbers really meant.  Anyways, to make a long story short, I purchased the XCAP products John suggested.  I loved them.  I never felt better.  I even went on to become an XCAP distributor and opened my own nutrition website, GetSeriousNutrition.com.

The stuff is that good, and John knows his stuff like nobody else, so when he calls, I listen and learn.  John called to tell me about some of the new things he was working on.  One of them, kind of blew my mind.  He has been working with some people to develop a new way of analyzing what vitamins and minerals your body is lacking.  The system is a hand scanner.  The patient places his hand on the scanner and the scanner sends data back to the Blood Doc for analysis.  Another version is fully self contained, printing out a list of recommended supplements right there.  Both of these devices are currently being tested and should be out before the end of the year.

My first thought was ahhhh snake oil.  Then I remembered the oxygen saturation sensor.  Hmmmm.  Kind of makes you think.  Knowing John, I think that this new device is going to be good stuff.  If you are a Nutritionist, own a gym, or a health food store, this might be a good tool for your business.  Give me a call if you are interested in this new product.  As an XCAP distributor, I'm hoping to have these available by the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers