Monday, June 14, 2010

Pondering Retirement?


When you are a little kid you always dream of what your will be when you grow up. A cowboy, a race car driver, an actor, a cop, a fireman or a tow truck driver. These were all things I would dream of. Nobody ever dreams of becoming an Accountant or a mid-level IT Manager. As we get older, our dreams become more realistic. We take on responsibilities and settle into our jobs.

When we reach a certain age, we again dream about our careers. Maybe dreaming of a second career, like opening a restaurant, an ice cream parlor, or an auto repair shop. Sometimes we do these things, sometimes we just trudge along on our current path. As we get a little bit older the dreams move to retirement.

Ahhh. The joy of sleeping in, not having to commute, and not having to put up with all those crazy people at work. I admit it. I would love to retire. I'm 50 and everyone I know around my age feels the same way. What's funny is for the most part my day job is ok. I don't have to get dirty, I don't have to dig up dead bodies (that is a true story that I may have to tell in a future blog), and I make pretty good money. I have great health care benefits and an official retirement plan. My job allows me to enjoy a pretty nice life. Realistically, I don't see retiring in the near future, at least not from my job. Although I am going to retire from something.

I am officially retiring from sparring. I will no longer be sparring at the gym. I am continuing to have problems with my rotator cuff and I just don't recover as fast as I used to. It has been getting harder and harder to keep up with the 25 year olds. Don't get me wrong. I love fighting and competing against the guys half my age, it just takes me more time to recover and my body is starting to pay the price.

I'm going to keep working out with them. I'll continue to do drills, hit the bag, hit mitts and do all of the conditioning. I'm just not going to get punched in the head anymore and I'm not going to spar in jujitsu. While I am sure I'm going to miss it, at least I can concentrate on staying in shape and letting my body heal.

In the future, I'm going to try and be a little more consistent in my blogging. I've got some good things coming. I will be posting a new bag workout, a new cardio workout, and some good stories like digging up a dead guy.

Also a quick note on affiliate marketing. When you click on one of the advertisements on this page, you are directed to their web site. If you purchase something, part of the sales come back to support the FixingRick blog. Their sponsorship and your patronage is greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rick!
    I can see why you're retiring from getting your head bashed in! You've got to keep your brains working at least until you retire from the County! And you want to keep those good looks, too, for Kelly! I miss you and the 1000 Gang!
    Hugs,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Followers