Monday, April 26, 2010

Anniversary Extravaganza - Part 1




Hi Everyone - I know, I know. Where has Rick been? Why hasn't he updated that award winning blog? Well... I dislocated and broke a toe, and I've developed a rotator cuff issue. I've had a cortisone shot and am currently in Physical Therapy. I've had to take a little time off of my MMA training and a little time off from the gym.

Last week was my 30th Wedding Anniversary. My wife Kelly and I went on a special Anniversary Extravaganza to celebrate. We went to a place called Wild Things, Vision Quest Ranch, Safari Bed and Breakfast. I know that is a mouthful, but let me tell you a little bit about this place.

Back in the day, way back when we lived in Prunedale, we used to drive down highway 101 into Salinas. Often times, we would see a guy out walking a lion alongside the road in the strawberry fields. I kid you not. A full maned lion walking on a leash.

Well it turns out there was a place in Salinas called Oxton Kennels. They trained animals for movies, TV, Commercials, and print ads. Working the animals was just a way to finance their rescue efforts. Kelly had actually taken the kids there several times to visit the animals. One of the highlights was a giant snake. That was probably why I didn't visit back then!

A few years ago, there was an article in the Santa Cruz paper about the opening of a bed and breakfast with a Safari twist. The owner of Oxton Kennels had moved out to 51 acres on River Road. He had expanded his rescue efforts and opened a Bed and Breakfast amongst the animals. Kelly and I had talked about going, but had never quite made it. The truth is I was so out of shape, I don't think I could have physically done it. I had told one of my co-workers about the adventure, and her and her husband went and had a blast.

Now up to the present. Kelly and I were looking for a short adventure to celebrate our Anniversary. I remembered Wild Things, and now being in a little better shape, I booked the trip. On April 19th we headed down to Salinas.

Driving up the driveway, we passed a camel, some ostriches, and some zebras. When we got out of the car, we could hear lions roaring. We knew this was going to be fun. We had booked a special VIP tour. A 4 hour behind the scenes tour of the facility. It turns out that Kelly and I were the only ones on this tour, and our guide was the head trainer. It was amazing.

I'm going to tease you a bit here. I'm going to post a couple of pictures and tell you more about the trip in the next blog. I promise stories about giving the elephants a bath, and tucking them in for the night. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers