Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sick of Being Sick

I had such great plans. I launched my blog on Monday with all the intentions of blogging daily, well at least every other day. Then it happened. I got sick. Not just a little sick, but big time sick. I actually stayed home from work for two days. That means I was sick. I only take time off work for fun stuff. By Tuesday night I was already sick of being sick. My wife has decided to look at having the R-N-Y surgery. One of the steps was for her to have a sleep apnea test. Well they called on Tuesday and wanted to squeeze her in for Tuesday night. That was great, but it left me home alone, sick and miserable (she was probably glad to get away from me!). Like millions of Americans I flipped the TV over to watch the Biggest Loser finale.

I guess you could say that I have what you could call a love/hate relationship with that show. I love how the show shows fat people as real people. That they have families, loved ones, and dreams just like everyone else. Often times people forget that. The part I hate about the show is that they make it seem like it is easy to lose the weight. All you have to do is workout. They make it look like it is no big deal to loose 10 pounds in a week, however, the biggest thing I hate about the show is how they put down weight loss surgery (WLS). They are always so quick to tell the world that Ron had had an R-N-Y gastric bypass surgery and had failed. This perpetuates the idea that WLS is a quick and easy fix, and how the only way to do it is by following their exercise plan, signing up for their meal plan, and following Jillian.

When I weighed 400 plus pounds, I hated myself and what I had become. I wanted to work out but with that kind of weight, my body wouldn't cooperate. My back hurt, my joints hurt, I had trouble breathing. I would try to fight through it. I would loose 3 pounds then hurt myself. I would get depressed and gain back 5 pounds. It was a vicious cycle. It finally reached the point where I said that "enough is enough." I realized that for me, I would need the kickstart of WLS. WLS is not a quick and easy fix. It is just a tool. It allowed me to reduce my body mass enough that I could begin to exercise and to take responsibility for myself.

As I'm watching the show, I noticed one thing that kept being repeated. As they profiled each of the contestants, many of them came to the same conclusion. They felt that they had reached the point where enough is enough, and had decided to accept responsibility and take care of themselves. I know that when I reached that point, it was time for me to accept responsibility and look at WLS. Looking back it was one of the best things I've ever done. It was the first step to "Fixing Rick."

2 comments:

  1. I read your post, and probably will every time you update. I am currently struggling with my own (modest) weight loss goals.

    I applaud you for stepping up and saying enough is enough. I also applaud your view on Bypass/stomach stapling/whatever.

    I currently am sidelined by lower leg injuries, and I know what a great help that would be to help kick-start a program.

    I applaud you. Dont worry about blogging too often - can actually hurt a relationship if you put in the time to write quality posts on a daily basis, on top of working, family, etc.

    Just be consistent.

    ReplyDelete

Followers